Put the potatoes in a pot and just cover with water. Boil until a fork just pierces the cubes. Take off the heat and rinse in a colander with cold water. Combine rinsed potatoes, corn, black beans, onion, jalepeno, in a bowl. Combine lime juice, olive oil, cumin, salt in a bowl and beat with a fork until well mixed. Pour lime/oil mixture over the potato/bean mixture, toss in the cilantro and mix gently so potatoes do not get smashed.
Great cold. Left overs can be mashed up a little and put between tortillas with some grated pepper jack cheese and brown in a skillet for a great quesidilla (sp??).
for every cup of bulgar…
- 1 c water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- <1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 can garbanzo or canneli
- 1.5 cup cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 4 green onions finely chopped (can sub 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion)
- 2 tbsp Combo of Chopped fresh dill, mint, parsely, basil…depends on what I have on hand…all are good
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- extras…cut corn off of one ear, cucumber chunks, sugar snap pea chunks, bean chunks…see what you have…all optional
Heat bulgar and water and salt to a boil, simmer about 5 min until the water is absorbed. remove from heat and let sit to cool. combine lemon juice and oil and allspice and beat with a fork. Combine cooled bulgar with tomatoes, onion, canneli (garbanzos), herbs, and any extras you wish. Pour lemon/oil mixture over and stir to mix. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving for flavors to blend.
note this can also be changed to wheat berries for more texture than bulgar…just they take a while to cook so need to plan ahead. simmer 1 cup of wheat berries (faro/kasha) in 2 cups of water for about an hour…add water if needed…they should begin to split open. If there is still water after they are ready just drain it off.
one more alternate…use quinoa instead of bulgar. I’d use crunchier extras since the quinoa is softer.
adapted from Sunset Vegetarian Cookbook…favorite summer salad…so satisfying!
this is the base formula…can easily scale up…(cause I love tzatziki!!)
- 1 fresh cucumber grated, sprinkled w salt ( ~1 tsp), and set to drain in strainer for 20 min
- 1 7 oz package fage total 2 % greek yogurt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic finely minced
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
After cucumber has drained a good bit of its water, stir together with the rest of the ingredients and refrigerate at least an hour before serving…the longer the stronger the garlic.
basically from andromahi ❤
- 1 head broccoli flowerettes
- 1.5 cup toasted pine nuts or sunflower seeds or pepitas or chopped pecans…yeah, whatever!
- 4 Tbsp minced onion
- 1/2 lb bacon crispy and crumbled
- 1/4 cup mayonaise
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsps milk
Combine broccoli and onion and dressing and chill. Mix in bacon and nuts just before serving. ( I go light on the dressing…so this is actually dressing for a half recipe).
From Mom and Dad