for every cup of bulgar…
- 1 c water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- <1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 can garbanzo or canneli
- 1.5 cup cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 4 green onions finely chopped (can sub 2 tbsp finely chopped red onion)
- 2 tbsp Combo of Chopped fresh dill, mint, parsely, basil…depends on what I have on hand…all are good
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- extras…cut corn off of one ear, cucumber chunks, sugar snap pea chunks, bean chunks…see what you have…all optional
Heat bulgar and water and salt to a boil, simmer about 5 min until the water is absorbed. remove from heat and let sit to cool. combine lemon juice and oil and allspice and beat with a fork. Combine cooled bulgar with tomatoes, onion, canneli (garbanzos), herbs, and any extras you wish. Pour lemon/oil mixture over and stir to mix. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving for flavors to blend.
note this can also be changed to wheat berries for more texture than bulgar…just they take a while to cook so need to plan ahead. simmer 1 cup of wheat berries (faro/kasha) in 2 cups of water for about an hour…add water if needed…they should begin to split open. If there is still water after they are ready just drain it off.
one more alternate…use quinoa instead of bulgar. I’d use crunchier extras since the quinoa is softer.
adapted from Sunset Vegetarian Cookbook…favorite summer salad…so satisfying!